Sunday, October 18, 2009

Darn it Mizzou!


I am a University of Missouri Tiger fan through and through. There is no doubt about that. My main focus is on football, but I keep up with the rest of it just because.

For those living under a rock for the last couple of months - it's football season. If you don't care, then this post will be of no interest to you. Buh-bye!
In all seriousness, I LOVE college football season. 9AM every Saturday, you will find me watching college Game Day on ESPN (unless it was this Saturday and I slept until 1040, oops). I love watching the polls, the upsets, undefeated stay undefeated, the Big 12 rock (sometimes), KU losing, Mizzou winning, and the list goes on and on.

When this season started, there were lots of questions among Mizzou fans as to how this season would go. Their first game was against Illinois and we thought many of those questions got some very positive answers. The next couple of games were decent. There were a few flaws, but no team is perfect...right? Yeah, we quickly found out that Mizzou is far from perfect this year.


Perfection was not a prediction by anyone, I am pretty sure. 4 quarters worth of effort from EVERYONE (coaches included) were expected. Unfortunately, in the last couple of games (happen to be losses as well) - effort was put forth for about 3 quarters. It was quite embarrassing actually.

They played Nebraska last week. It was a total defensive battle (think 9-0 at halftime). Mizzou was winning that battle. And then we watched them implode in approximately 3 minutes. It was pathetic. Players, fans, coaches, everyone - licked our wounds and continued on with our optimism.
Fast forward to yesterday. Mizzou traveled to Stillwater, OK to take on the Oklahoma State Cowboys. And again, everyone was hopeful that the previous loss would light a fire under the team's ass and we would come out on top. That was actually the case in the first half. They played very well and hung with OSU with many lead changes. It was a fun game to watch. Not so much in the 2nd half. The implosion happened once again.


Yeah, this would be the reaction you could expect to see when shit hits the fan for Mizzou.

Next week is homecoming and the Texas Longhorns come to town. Unfortunately, I am anticipating our 3rd loss in a row...which means 0-3 in conference play. I would love to be proved wrong, but with the performances in the last couple of weeks - I am not holding my breath.

Despite all of this, my loyalty holds strong. M-I-Z! Z-O-U! Fight Tigers!!

Any other college football fans out there? How is your team doing? What are your predictions for the rest of the season?


3 comments:

Molly said...

Love college football...but it's tough being a Notre Dame fan lately! I'm glad we didn't get blown out by USC, but still...a win would have been nice.

Good luck next week...maybe you'll rock the upset!!

Harold said...

I love my Husker football, go big RED! So of course, your disappointing loss last week was a sweet victory for us. We had a rough day yesterday too, against Texas Tech. I am optimistic for our game against Iowa State next weekend. hope you guys are luckier against Texas than you are anticipating!

Angie said...

I love college football! As hard as it is sometimes, I am a Cyclone fan. I'm looking forward to the last game of the season against Missouri!