Monday, April 27, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame!

One of the great things about living in KC in the spring and summer is the Kansas City Royal's. Anyone who is familiar with the team knows that KC Royals and great do not belong in the same sentence in recent years. Hell, they have not won a World Series since the year I was born. And I want to say that their most recent play off game was in the early 1990s. Don't quote me on the play off date. I could be wrong.

The be quite frank about it - the Royals have SUCKED for the last few years. They have especially sucked since we have lived in KC. Since I grew up 1/2 way between the two MLB teams in our state, I could choose who I wanted to cheer for. Growing up, I mostly cheered for the STL Cardinals because they were good. Once I moved here and started going to the Royal's games - that changed. Royals games are so much more fun than Cardinals games regardless of the outcome. It also helps that my grandparents have had season tickets to the Royals for quite some time. So I would say there has always been a place in my heart for the Royals just from seeing my grandpa be a fan.

Either way, I am now a much bigger Royals fan than I am a Cardinals fan. Having lived in KC for 6 years now (wow!), my knowledge and enjoyment for the Royals has just gotten stronger over time. At least people can't call me a fair weather fan since the Royals have not been good. I will also admit that I am more of a fan of the tailgating than I am the actual baseball game. When it comes to football, I am the opposite. I am learning more about baseball and therefore enjoying the games more than when I started going 6 years ago.

Luckily, for all the Royal's fans out there - they are getting better. This year looks very optimistic and I look forward to the season. We have already gone to 3 games this year in the newly renovated stadium. It's wonderful to have some good players and a stadium that doesn't look like something from a 197os Sports Illustrated. I am all for vintage, but Kauffman Stadium was definitely overdue for a facelift.

I am sure there will be many more Royals games in my future over the next few months. Stay tuned for more pictures. Until then, enjoy the pictures from the last 3 games we attended.

Glorious!

Some fabulous tailgating with Justin's best friend (Geoff) and Geoff's sister.

No comments: