Monday, April 6, 2009

Academy of Country Music awards 2009

I am a huge fan of country music so whenever there are country music awards on, I watch. Last night was the Academy of Country Music awards so I set my DVR up to record it since I had to work. Here is my little recap and reaction post to the show last night.

First of all, Reba McEntire hosted the show. I am a very big fan of her so I was thrilled to find out she would be hosted. I thought she did a great job. She also performed her new song, which was ok. It did not sound like a "typical" Reba song, but was still all right. It might be one of those songs that has to grow on me.

Some of the winners:
--Carrie Underwood was voted entertainer of the year. She was up against Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, George Strait, and Keith Urban. I have never been to one of her shows so I cannot speak on how entertaining she is. This is fan voted so it's not quite like the rest of the ACM awards as the members of the ACM are not choosing it.
--Male vocalist was Brad Paisley.
--Female vocalist was Carrie Underwood.
--Julianna Hough won top new vocalist. I love her music and her dance on Dancing With the Stars.
--"In Color" by Jamey Johnson won song of the year. Such an awesome song. If you have not heard it, please do so...right now.

There was a really cool performance to start the show. It consisted of Brooks and Dunn singing "Play Something Country" while they introduced a few other performers do do snippets of some of their very popular songs. Taylor Swift, Sugarland, Carrie Underwood, and Rascal Flatts were the featured artists. It ended with all of the artists together finishing off "Play Something Country." It was really stinkin' cool.




Carrie Underwood performed "I Told You So." Great performance, weird ass dress. Weird. Weird. Weird. As you may or not not be able to tell from the pic it was a really pretty red color. In my opinion, the color was the only pretty thing about that dress. It was super poofy and the train was really long. It took over the stage. Carrie let out some secrets of what the dress was going to look like before the show was taped...she described it as being like "red water, lava, or red icing." I think lava nailed it on the head. I was definitely not a fan.



Miley Cyrus did a performance of her new song, "The Climb." It was a good song and a good performance. However, at the end she stepped on to this platform that gradual lifted her in the hair to signify a climb. It was probably a cool idea to most people, but when I watched it I immediately thought of the game on Price Is Right where the yodeler climbs the mountain and eventually falls off if you guess prices incorrectly. Any agree? I can't find a pic of her during this part of her performance, but you can watch it on youtube here. It started out very awkward anyway because her father, Billy Raye Cyrus, introduced her and did some promoting of his new album coming out and the premier of the Hannah Montana movie.

I thought there were some cool performances, neat presenters, funny outfits, and all the other normal stuff in an awards show. Nothing too exciting. Just some good music and deserving winners of awards.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Brad said the exact same thing about Miley's performance!! Too funny!