Monday, January 3, 2011

Final day of 2010....


I ran my first 5k race on Thanksgiving day. I had a blast and instantly started searching for my next race. The soonest one that would work with my schedule was New Year's Eve. I signed up in mid-December...I was, somehow, the 9th person to sign up. I thought that was odd with the race just being a couple of weeks away. That actually made me nervous that it would be an incredibly small race. It wasn't too terribly small. There were about 280 people that participated. This was about 100-150 less than Thanksgiving, but still an OK size.

The race began at 4pm. The temperature at that point was about 59 degrees. It was unbelievably great. I decided to wear shorts and short-sleeves because it was so warm. I didn't really research the course of the race. The majority of it was through downtown Columbia and part of Mizzou's campus. It was a little windy that day anyway...but add to that larger buildings and it was SUPER windy. In hind site, I would have probably worn capri tights instead. The temperature dropped about 10-12 degrees by the time I finished the race. Brrrr.

My time at my Thanksgiving race was 28:06...I was very pleased with that. I was so pleased that I was nervous to run another because I was worried I would never be able to beat that time. I completely underestimated myself for my first race (I expected 30-34 minutes) and I underestimated myself once again on New Year's Eve. My time for NYE was 26:08. I was very pleased and even a bit impressed with myself. I suppose upping my mileage as I train for a half marathon makes a difference with speed as well.

I placed 93 out of 280 who finished. I was 3rd out of 17 in my age/gender group.

I look forward to improving my times as I continue racing. My goal for 2011 is to get my 5k time sub 25 minutes. After my race on NYE - I feel much more confident to achieve this.

Speaking of the half marathon training - this will take place in Nashville, TN with 3 of my favorite girls from college. I am really excited to accomplish this distance for the first time together. Pardon me if my blog becomes very running concentrated. It's become a beloved hobby.

Tellatubbies (sp?) at the finish line.


Me, post-race, with the tellatubby (sp?).

2 comments:

amy said...

Thats awesome! Rick has mentioned wanting to run a 5k in the past. One of the kids I see for speech, her mom runs 5ks around KC. She is very passionate about it and she has me excited to maybe try to do one! That being said, I haven't been to the gym in awhile and at this point could probably only run a mile and a half. So we will see! Good luck on your goal for decreasing your time!

Megan said...

Holla! I have been waiting months for you to get on this darn thing. Blog more, and do it about running. it is your things and you are becoming quite the inspiration. Your times rock!!!! I am so aiming to get there too! I am so behind, but reading your post really has me motivated to get more regular...I inspire you if you inspire me. Can't wait to cross the finish line with you:)